Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 2: Flats and Handwashing Challenge

Today is day 2 of the Dirty Diaper Laundry Flats and Handwashing Challenge. I already have two other posts from Day 1 and my original post about this challenge. The orginal post has links to the challenges from the first and second year. There have been blogging prompts listed and today I am going to give my thoughts on what supplies I am using.

Since I am diapering two full time, I decided to buy 3 dozen unbleached flats. I have a large rotation of covers, but I have decided to only use four Thirsties Duo Wraps and two Kawaii one-size covers for each of my boys. I also have 1 Snappi and 1 Boingo set for each boy. With my husbands help, we made a camp bucket for washing the diapers. Here is a tutorial on how to make one of your own, filmed by Kim over at Dirty Diaper Laundry. For my detergent, I am going to try Eco Sprout and Ecos. Eco Sprout is in powder form and Ecos is a liquid. I am starting to think that 3 dozen prefolds is more than enough... I think I could have gotten away with 2 dozen.

I am happy to announce that neither of my boys leaked last night! The extra flat, pad folded and put in the middle, seemed to do the job. I am impressed!

This morning, I chose to use the origami fold on both of my boys. I tried without a Snappi...

 1 year old, 20 lbs

2.5 year old, 27 lbs

Then I went ahead and used a Snappi...

1 year old

 2 year old

I added their covers and I am continually impressed by how trim fitting the flat fold diapers are!

2 year old lying down

2 year old front view standing

2 year old back view standing

1 year old lying down

1 year old front view sitting

1 year old side view sitting

The boys seem really happy in the flats. I was worried they would not like the feeling of being wet, since we usually use pockets and only use prefolds when I am behind on laundry. Judging by the looks on their faces, the flats are a hit!


I didn't want this post to be huge, so I will be be making a second post today about my first time hand washing diapers in the camp bucket! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree they really do seem to be very trim. Covers that used to be so tight on my daughter are much looser with flats.

    ReplyDelete