Sunday, January 19, 2014

Cloth Wipes

In recent news, Huggies disposable wipes are causing skin rashes!

If you or your child are suffering from a rash you just can't kick, it may be your disposable baby wipes. I have yet to find a disposable wipe that I can use. They all break my hands out. Once I started using cloth wipes, my rash on my hands pretty much went away.

I have used many, many wipe solutions in the past. Sometimes, I just use water. I prefer to use something with a little soap in it for this reason: our babies poop typically gets all over their genitals and butt cheeks. I know that we adults do not clean ourselves with a soap solution each time we use the restroom, but I assume that adults are not getting poop up by their penises and vaginas, or all over their butt cheeks.

My test is to smell my baby's heniey. If I smell poop, then poop is still there, even if I can't see it.

I accordion fold my wipes into a wipes container that you can buy at any store for less than $3. I typically get the Huggies containers because they are so cute and just toss the wipes that come with it.




Dirty Diaper Laundry has a great video demonstrating how to accordion fold.

As for wipes solutions, my favorite so far is:
1.75 C water
1 T soap (I like Cetaphil as it is intended to be used wet or dry, and wipes away clean)

I mix and then pour over my wipes that I have accordion folded into the container. I typically pour it over 30-45 wipes and that lasts 2-3 days, so the solution does not have time to mildew.


For wipes used on pee only, I toss into the wetbag with the diaper. For wipes used on poop, I spray clean with my diaper sprayer when I spray off the poopy diaper, then toss in the wetbag. I do like to have two wipes containers. One that is being used and one that is prepared with folded wipes and ready for solution. Then I never run out of wipes and have to scramble.




For wipes on the go, I fold about ten wipes into an on the go container. I bring a spray bottle with some premixed wipes solution in it. When changing a diaper, I spray either the wipe or baby's heiney, wipe, then toss in the wetbag. This way, I never forget about wet wipes in the diaper bag. I used to pre-wet my wipes for the diaper bag and after a couple times of them getting mildew or mold, I started bringing dry wipes and the spray bottle.



There are several wipes solutions out there, as well as bits and concentrations. A lot of people also like to add some essential oils for scent and to prevent mildew. I cannot do this as my sons's heiney is too sensitive. 

Next week, I will have a post about family cloth, so come back soon! 





No comments:

Post a Comment